Finished Project: Something New! 1930s Plus Size!

 I found a late 30s wrap dress pattern in an antique store. It was a 38 Bust. The process I used to adjust to my size was overlaying the 30s wrap bodice onto my personal pattern (sloper), and drawing the wrap front opening on the sloper. I used the vintage collar pattern, but had to add 2 inches onto the ends because my waist was longer. The 30s pattern was designed with these two front pockets as well.
 The skirt is a princess cut- 6 panel skirt. I opted to not make this tight on my hips (like most 30s designs) because I get a more balanced overall look with a slightly fitted hip.
 Belt is handmade. I used my grandmothers fastener stash for the buckle. I like it because it's very light weight.
 I wore this the first time to go see the re-release of Casablanca in the theaters last month. I had a great time!

 Both the pockets and the sleeves are trimmed in (free!) lace!
 The collar is the one thing I was unsure if I was going to like. I feared it being such a focal point because of my large girls. But I see now that it is REALLY CUTE!
 The white you see peeking out is the underside of the collar. I finished that in a plain white muslin. I wanted it to be lightweight. The dress material is a light weight cotton. I purposely worked with a light weight because I was concerned about draping of the collar.
 You could make this really fun with a real pop of color on the underside of that color! I could have gone with a yellow!
I like that in this picture you can see the hourglass shape that I am trying to achieve in the style lines of my garments. I am actually a pear!
STAY GLAM!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished Project: Have You Seen This Dress Somewhere Before?

Love handmade rockabilly items by me? Selling jewelry!