Treasures from mi Abuelita - Part One

Mi Abuelita died years ago. I miss her so much. I talk about her a lot because she is still a part of my life. When I went home for Thanksgiving this year. I was given a box of her costume jewels. I am so proud to be able to wear these! As I looked through them I had many memories of her wearing them. I also think that she MADE a lot of them. If she likes something like a button on an old dress, she would glue it to an earring back...or fasten a necklace. I found out that we were so much alike in more ways than I ever knew!
My favorite is this necklace. It's a single necklace, just like I have seen 50s TV moms wear. I adore it!
You can see Martini looking at me back there. He is my shadow.
This is just a small sample of what is in that box. I have another box that I will show you next time.
The pink and yellow box is something she made. It is a pin and earrings made from steak bones that she glued and painted! How awesome! The rose pins and earrings she also made.
The sweater clip has the image of the Virgin Mary in blue.
Las perlas son muy bonitas
She has a bunch of these beaded rope necklaces. All colors!
I found out how Mema saved EVERYTHING when I inherited her sewing machine and table. I use the zips and buttons she collected all the time. She also saved her broken jewelry in this cute pink sewing box.

There are so many pretty, shiny things in here. Some I will make into hair barrettes, and flowers, and the rest I think I will glue onto a wooden keepsake box. It will be super cool!

I think some pieces are vintage. They look old for sure and the stones look glass.
 I have lots of work to do. Mi Abuelita no estuvo aguejeros en las orejas. I hate clip ons! I have to alter all of these with posts. I glue them on. 

Last week I had a bad week, and was feeling really dissapointed and alone. When I went to bed, I had a dream with my Mema in it. I was talking to her and she knew how sad I was. She took my hand and wove her fingers in between mine. She said "I will be your partner, Susie" She then told me to get out her jewelry box. She was glad that I had it; she told me that that our link was the jewelry, and whenever I wore her jewelry she would be close to me. I would not be alone.

Thanks Mema, I love you!
Hope you had fun looking!
STAY GLAM!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psycho Sue Reveals Her Seedy Past: and an Inspiring Poem by Sarah

Finished Project: Have You Seen This Dress Somewhere Before?

Finished Project: THE 50s SKELANIMALS DRESS!