I make art for Big Girls

 The tattoo shop in Leesburg VA where I get my work done  - Inksanity Tattoo Company
has an art show regularly. Customers submit art to sell! They have themes for each show. October's show is "CARNIVAL"
It takes place October 15 at 8pm, if you are local to the area.
I have interpreted this in my own way and made this piece.
 It's paper on wood construction. The ladies are all BIG BEAUTIFUL carnival side show "FAT LADIES"
 What inspired me about these ladies is the amount of pride they have for their bodies. Their bodies earned them a living. And you can see pride in their eyes.
Yes, sure they were being exploited and marketed for being "freaks." Blah blah but I don't think they saw it that way. It was their way of earning a living. I read a quote from one such lady who said (paraphrased) "why would I want to loose weight? This is how I earn my living!"

And we bitch about the lack of clothing options fat girls have now! NONE BACK THEN! These ladies were all seamstresses! By necessity!

Even more adoration.

I find it beautiful. Maybe it will sell, if it does not....it can come home with me! Proud Fatties!

Bring on the carnival! For more art samples click here!

I have a new garment in the works right now. It's about 70 percent finished, but after this one I plan on doing some SERIOUS halloween/dia de los muertos TRIBUTE dresses!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psycho Sue Reveals Her Seedy Past: and an Inspiring Poem by Sarah

Finished Project: Have You Seen This Dress Somewhere Before?

Finished Project: THE 50s SKELANIMALS DRESS!