Finished Project: The USO Dress! (and a possible SNAFU)

Of course, the hat is inspired by Joan Crawford!

I was totally caught off guard and inspired by this cotton print from Jo Anne Fabrics! There was not enough to make an entire dress so I came up with a plan.

I wanted this to look a bit utilitarian, inspired by the USO girls of the 1940s. I know mostly they wore suits in movies, but I was picturing what a girl wore when she was serving them food.



daaarlinks bring the car around so we can go to the movies


I took my 40s pinafore dress and made it without ruffles, and drafted sleeves for it. That's it! It really is my 40s pinafore dress! The contrasting blue shoulder princess seams are designed to make the print look like an apron....utilitarian-esque.

I love it! I wore it to the County Fair!




here are me and my girls chillin at the county fair! aren't we sexy!



hey soldier



i see your crazy vintage pattern and raise you one "milkmaid hairstyle"
 The print is very "Americana" complete with little 40s marching girls and USO girls, and soldiers. There's only one thing that is bothering moi that my astute husband pointed out AFTER I made the dress.....
WHAT THE HELL IS UION ME? Please don't tell me that they printed a MISprint all over and its is supposed to be "Join Me"!!!!!! SNAFU!!!!
 Oh who cares... it kicks 40s ass!
I am feeling in a green mood...my next projects all have greens in them. I am working on a gorgeous humongous 50s collared dress next! The muslin in looking good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finished Project: Have You Seen This Dress Somewhere Before?

Love handmade rockabilly items by me? Selling jewelry!