Ask the Psycho! Sewing Questions! "What is the best project for a noob?"

Today I have a question from a reader named Chelsea:
 "I'm a complete sewing noob.  What are some good patterns for someone to start with?  Any rookie mistakes to avoid?"

A newbie sewer outfit made by me a few years ago. I made the top and skirt with no pattern. It's actually quite a MESS. LOL But it made me confident enough to work into using patterns.

When I started, I didn't use patterns. I was just making it up as I went. I didn't even follow any rules; like for instance grains and such. Well some parts of my beginning were good (like digging into sewing and learning as much as I could), but then other aspects were bad (not following grain lines makes wonky dresses/skirts).

So my advice would be to try out something that will sharpen your skills just simply using the machine. I am talking about sewing yourself a little purse! Or an apron! If you jump right into garments, chances are that you are going to be very frustrated and dissapointed, and end up quitting! Because 99 percent of us cannot fit patterns directly out of the envelop, the odds are against ye!

Once you pick up one of those little bag patterns and make yourself something cute and sassy to carry; you will then be ready to try a garment! Making a bag will get you confident with:
straight line sewing, curve sewing, top stitching, zipper insertion (depending on design), using interfacing, making straps, making gathers (depending on design)....all these will be good new skills for making a skirt.

What I would suggest is an A LINE skirt. I would avoid pencil skirts because they are very fitted and you can get in over your head with that one. A nice twirly skirt that will flow around "ja-booty" will be an easy fit.

Simplicity has a line called "Sew Simple" that has a lot of good choices: this one in particular avoids a zipper and uses elastic for the  waist
http://www.simplicity.com/p-6403-sew-simple-misses-skirt.aspx
This would be a very good candidate for a first project!

In my next talk...I will share some of the most made newbie sewist mistakes, and talk about how to avoid them!
TA TA FOR NOW!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psycho Sue Reveals Her Seedy Past: and an Inspiring Poem by Sarah

Finished Project: Have You Seen This Dress Somewhere Before?

Finished Project: THE 50s SKELANIMALS DRESS!